Thursday, May 17, 2012

You Can't Take it With You

My name is Rebecca, and I am the adult child of a hoarder. I've grown up with my parents and their house full of stuff since I can remember, but I had no idea that wasn't normal. That is, until I moved out and began keeping my own apartment. I found it nearly impossible to get rid of things, and soon my brand new apartment was full of unnecessary things. I became aware of the hoarders show on A&E, and over time, it dawned on me. We are hoarders. I am a hoarder. Not long after this realization, I went through a very dark time, I was nearly housebound with depression, I withdrew from my college classes, and only left the house for work.

I began seeing a counselor on campus who helped me through my academic struggles, as well as other stresses I was facing. After a short time, I began cleaning my apartment, and throwing things out. I was so proud of myself. Until I realized, that even though I could admit to myself that I have to work on this thing everyday, I can't do it for my family.

Today, I am a college graduate (as of 6 days ago!) and it's time for me to work on myself (I can't take all my things when I move) and anything I can do to help my parents before I move away for whatever job I may find in another state. I worry that I won't be able to help them before I leave, or that my attempts will destroy our relationship, but I am slowly gaining courage to do what I can to help them. This might include some professional organization certification work, and side jobs in cleaning and organizing...I guess we'll see.

In a few weeks, I will be able to take off a few days from work to work on a room in my parents' studio. I plan on going in when they are out of town so that I can organize in peace. I know better than to throw things out or sell things without their permission, but maybe I can make some sense of the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment