10. Closet

Obviously this has morphed from "A Room A Day" to "Several Rooms Rushed at the Very End." I put this off long enough, and now that I know I'm going home Sunday, I feel that I should finish what I started before I see the house and give an update.
The back bedroom is one of the two that I have lived in while at home. This is strange, I thought I'd have more to say about it. Most of my childhood was spent in that room.I remember being in that room with my pets over the years, being young and having a constantly messy room. My mother yelled at me because she insisted that I clean my room before I went to a friend's house. I saw what she did in her room, and I grabbed a dozen paper grocery bags from the kitchen and stuffed everything from my floor into the bags and into the closet. This made her furious. I remember a few times she would have to sit me down and supervise me as I cleaned my room to keep me on task. So many times, I lost my shoes for dance. And never just on a random day, or before class. I could never find what I needed the night before a recital.
Now it's my father's in-home office and closet.
The photo above shows the "office" space in the back bedroom. The walls are ocean blue because while my dad was out of town for a job, my mom got a wild hair and decided she'd paint it for him as a surprise. She talked it up so much to herself that she didn't even finish the decorating (like most of the rooms). When he got home and didn't like it, she lost it. I recognize this tendency in myself now. I'll plan a big dinner, or craft, and either I never follow through, or it was a silly idea that turns out to be all wrong.
The closet isn't shown in detail, but it's to the left here. My mom painted this too, and again I would either make the closet a useable storage/office nook, or I would organize and minimally decorate the room for guest bedroom-use.
Still, my dad has several empty boxes lying around, and cables running askew. My dad isn't big on sunlight, and I think that clutter blindness affects him more directly than my mother. He's learned to live with a situation that doesn't make him happy. He can turn the lights out on the room and and the issue disappears, until he has to turn the light on in the morning.
Here is the direct view from the doorway. To the right is a piece of dresser set (different than the others in the master bedroom; the other pieces that match this one are at the shop). The framed piece on the wall is a 7" vinyl of "Sugar Mountain" that I gave my dad a few years ago. My boyfriend found it online and I printed the lyrics and my sister and I signed them before I matted and framed it all at work. Like the song says, "You can't be 20, on Sugar Mountain." It's hard to be an adult in my parents house.
No comments:
Post a Comment