
The main bathroom has always been in a transitional state. It's gone through phases of ivy, white, pastels, Americana, and most recently birdhouses. The floor is only about ten or fifteen years old, the window and shutters are probably about the same age. Everything else that is permanent, is original to the house.
The counter top is the late 60s early 70s style of pink starbursts and gold sparkles. The walls that you can see in the photo were painted and wall papered at one point, but the humidity from the shower brought down most of the wall paper. If I remember correctly, the wallpaper that is still up is taped. The wall section that is jutting out is from the attached bathroom off the master bedroom. The right side of the nook area is the shower and tub. The wall you can't see, across from the toilet and sink, is all built in cabinets that match those under the bathroom sink. At one point, I think my mom was considering going to a white-wash country style, so 50% of the trim down there and around the door is painted white...but nothing else.
I have cleaned the cabinets and drawers out several times. At some point, I'd go in for a shower, and look for something, shampoo, or something, and realize that there was shit from my parents dating days in there. They lived in a different state then! I found a wedding present of bride and groom figurines that held perfume and cologne that my mom hadn't seen since they moved there in 1989.
This bathroom, like the other one, is small, but functional. The smartest thing to do here is clean it out and paint it something neutral. The giant pane mirror is nice, but a new, double vanity would fit, and the built-in cabinets need help.
You might be wondering why the mat on the floor isn't closer to the toilet. It's actually for the cat. My mom had moved the cat's litter box into the cabinet, and put the mat there so she could clean her feet on it. This was such a horrible surprise when I visited last. The last place I would put a litter box, is the one place that company is sure to go eventually. I guess they haven't had guests in a while, and maybe it made sense to her. I hope this has moved, especially with the boyfriend's allergies.
No comments:
Post a Comment