Tuesday, October 16, 2012

And This Little Hoarder Went to Market


 


My mom called, she's 45 minutes away from going to the private auction for this house she has her heart set on. She said my father had just walked into the room and said that he doesn't understand it, he doesn't know why she wants or needs another house, but he'll go along with her because they're married. State law dictates that their credit is tied together because they share the equity of their home, which is paid off. She said she went to the bank today and has been approved for five years of house hunting, and she was sure to tell me that even if this one doesn't work out, she'll find another.

She seems almost giddy. I'm conflicted because she seems genuinely happy and excited, but I cannot imagine this ending well if she takes the house. I also can't understand how she can think she will fix up a house, let alone enjoy doing it, on her own when she complains about not having the time or help to take the trash out or do a load of dishes.

Side note: I mentioned my boyfriend's parents' neighbor last night at dinner, and my boyfriend said that the county auditor that came through while his dad was finishing off their basement. The auditor said about 30% of his route looks like the neighbor's houses, and he isn't trained to deal with it. It seems so hopeless.

I don't know if I should call my dad and ask if there's anything he can say to stop her. I don't know if I should let them do it and simply hope for the best (being that she doesn't get the house). Another part of me is extremely curious about how things would turn out if she did get the house. The house was foreclosed on in the middle of renovations, so the flooring is exposed, the wood veneer walls were painted over, causing it to bubble, the roof is bad, and they walled in the dining room as a bedroom without a permit. This house would have to be gutted to the studs, and she's on the other end of the phone beaming about how this will be the perfect project home for her because at least the wiring is still good.

So, in 45 minutes or less, my 52 year old mother will walk into the bank's office and participate in a private bid between the top three bidders. I don't know how long these usually last, but I suppose we'll all know the outcome sometime this afternoon.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment