I noticed this post
on reddit early this morning, and when I looked at the picture, I giggled, but
then I realized that this isn't a reality for me. When I go home, there
is no bed in that room. Technically, yes, it's there somewhere. But
functionally it doesn't exist. There are piles of crap stacked high all
over the room.
My boyfriend and I have been struggling to find a new apartment to move into next week, and until we found one recently, it was a very real possibility that we might have to move in with our parents for a few weeks. Because of my dog, that made it a likely place to go. Any time I brought it up with my boyfriend, he'd joke "Oh yeah? Where are we going to stay?"
I'm grateful that we found a place when we did, because logistically there's no way we would have fit in their three bedroom, one and a half bathroom house...even though it has a full sized basement and family room with fold out bed and locking door. I know I'm not the only one, but it's incredibly frustrating, knowing I can't go home, even if I wanted to.
Our new apartment is a much different layout compared to the split level townhouse we're in now, and we're excited to make it our own for a year. The landlord has also agreed that in the interest of selling the condo after we leave, we can do minor to moderate updates. Some of the first tasks include installing ceiling fans in the bedrooms, and maybe painting. We're not going to rip out cabinets, but I'm looking forward to the challenge of furnishing and organizing a new space. If anyone is passing through east central Iowa, look me up, can't wait to entertain :)
I'm starting to apply the energy and inspiration I had for my mother's shop and home, into my own, for me. I'm not abandoning her, but she still says she's working on the house, and since I haven't been there in a month or so, I'm not jumping to conclusions one way or the other. Although I wish I could post here every day like before, my full time job is taking up a large chunk of my time, and I'm really okay with the fact that my parents' hoarding isn't consuming all my thoughts.
My boyfriend and I have been struggling to find a new apartment to move into next week, and until we found one recently, it was a very real possibility that we might have to move in with our parents for a few weeks. Because of my dog, that made it a likely place to go. Any time I brought it up with my boyfriend, he'd joke "Oh yeah? Where are we going to stay?"
I'm grateful that we found a place when we did, because logistically there's no way we would have fit in their three bedroom, one and a half bathroom house...even though it has a full sized basement and family room with fold out bed and locking door. I know I'm not the only one, but it's incredibly frustrating, knowing I can't go home, even if I wanted to.
Our new apartment is a much different layout compared to the split level townhouse we're in now, and we're excited to make it our own for a year. The landlord has also agreed that in the interest of selling the condo after we leave, we can do minor to moderate updates. Some of the first tasks include installing ceiling fans in the bedrooms, and maybe painting. We're not going to rip out cabinets, but I'm looking forward to the challenge of furnishing and organizing a new space. If anyone is passing through east central Iowa, look me up, can't wait to entertain :)
I'm starting to apply the energy and inspiration I had for my mother's shop and home, into my own, for me. I'm not abandoning her, but she still says she's working on the house, and since I haven't been there in a month or so, I'm not jumping to conclusions one way or the other. Although I wish I could post here every day like before, my full time job is taking up a large chunk of my time, and I'm really okay with the fact that my parents' hoarding isn't consuming all my thoughts.

I'm glad that you're starting to apply the energy that went into your mother's place into your own. I think that's been my biggest failing so far. I haven't realized that every bit of stress I put into her I could be turning into positive energy in my own place.
ReplyDelete