Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Room A Day #15

15. The Deck and Garage



Ack! We're heading to my hometown soon, as in we will be there at 2 p.m. but we forgot we wanted to stop at the mall out there, so I'm really rushing this last post. I'm also going to take advantage of the panorama function of my iPhone so my posts aren't full of tiny pictures.


I remember the deck being built in time for Easter when I was about six years old. The patio furniture excluding the swing were presents from my sister to my mother to help them spruce up the deck a few years back. The swing was a present from my dad to my mom for mother's day at least a decade ago. The big plastic trunk is meant to store patio cushions, but since all the furniture was left out for several winters in a row, everything is rusted and junky already. I don't remember where the fireplace came from, but I remember it being stored in the original garage (now the family room) and for the past ten years or so it's been on the porch. Sometimes my mom gets a hankering to weed or clean up dead vegitation, but it doesn't get farther than being thrown on the deck or blown around.

The safe in the photo below came from the first house my parents shared in another state. My mom insisted that it be moved with them when they moved to Iowa, and then to this house. The bottom is rusted out so it doesn't hold anything, no one knows anything about the keys or combination anymore, and the cement underneath it is deteriorating. To make it more convenient for my mom and her pets, they took out the screened door from the sliding glass door in the family room and replaced it with a magnetic mesh net that the pets can push through and it magnetically closes behind them. I'm not sure why my mother put up a small picket fence, because if the dog goes outside and is corralled in this area, it can't get to water, grass, or off the hot/cold cement.

 This is the inside of the greenhouse on the deck. This was the most recent mother's day present from two or three years ago. It looks like she was excited the first week, and started sorting her tools and making it a nice little place. But now there's a bedsheet on the deck, all the plants in the greenhouse are dead, and the tools and containers are all over the place. I worry about the pets getting into fertilizer or pesticides, but luckily it has a door on it.

This is the overgrown area between the family room (original garage) and the two stall garage. The sidewalk is pretty well hidden here, you can see the trellis is up but there is picket fence behind it because when I lived there my dog would dig out. A rusted wheelbarrow, and the rusted trash can caddy are back there too. I can never recall my parents using the city trash service. I understand the merit in keeping it for when they sell the house, but honestly? Who wants "Oh and the 20 year old rusted trash caddy is included!" Toss it, and if you feel so-inclined, buy a new one when the house is on the market.


 I've lumped in the two stall car garage as well, because I would love for this building to be cleared out and used as...I don't know, a garage. This is so much bigger than just the building though, because the stuff in here is very, very old, and therefore attached to much deeper memories and emotions.


 My parents actually brought this cooler to our house warming party over a year ago. I can't believe I drank anything that was contained in it.

Here are all my grandpa's tools that my dad took home after he passed away. All the bikes my sister and I ever used are hanging up. 

This is the old entertainment cabinet from the family room TV. When my dad got a bigger TV, my mom refused to let him throw it away, even though it's older than I am.


I remember when they built the garage. My dad was excited for the window, he was going to work in the garage all the time. I think it was also in the original plan to insulate the garage.


Here you can get a small glimpse of the junk they store in the rafters. Oh and the lebaron. The last time this was driven, I pulled into the driveway freaking out because it was smoking. This was an anniversary present from my dad to my mom, and she has never really liked it.




Okay, we did it. I'm off to shower and change for the trip. We'll make a couple stops on the way, and then...well we'll see. 
\

No comments:

Post a Comment